Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spillover

I was hoping this would happen and it is a good thing...

Starting to go through all my craft (crap - depends who you ask in this house) things has helped me with paring down some other unneeded items.

The latest place to need decluttering - my closet.  When I left work to be a stay-at-home 2 years ago, I thoroughly went through the house and got rid of stuff.  In fact, it was one of my first goals when I stayed home, because I felt like I never had time when I was working.  My evenings and weekends were filled to the brim with taking care of two little children and buying things because I didn't have the time to see what I actually had.  So with no work, I had plenty of time to declutter.  Out went the fondue pot that had hardly been used in the 8 years since we were married, and the digital scale that I had won at a conference and at least a dozen shoes and a few handbags.  But my clothes were largely untouched, mostly because I was pregnant and so, at that time, I had pregnancy clothes, nursing clothes, clothes for when my weight is still getting back to normal - because it doesn't happen for me when I'm nursing -  and regular clothes.  When I was no longer pregnant, I gave all my pregnancy clothes to another pregnant woman.  One big chunk gone.

Well, as anyone who has had multiple kids knows, my body is not the same as it was before having any kids or even after having one kid.  I even go to a Body Sculpting class 3x a week and sometimes do Kickboxing too.  It ain't happening and I'm okay with that.  And my clothes need to reflect that.  I have plenty of clothes that are dated and not quite fitting right, so out with 2 garbage bags full of clothes - too small clothes; man, have hemlines (like on shirts) changed a lot in the last 7 years;  too big clothes;  yeah, some of those stretched out nursing clothes needed to go and other - what I was thinking clothes. And winter coats-- I don't know what other people think of work-insignia clothes.  I had 2 really nice winter coats (one was a carhart and one was columbia) from my previous employer - and they had a little insignia on them with the company name.  As nice as they were to wear when the company gave them to me - and the company was very generous in giving them to me, I am just not into advertising for the company now that I don't work there.  So, I gave away 2 work winter coats to someone I used to work with who expressed interest.   

And one awesome pair of boots that I bought 4 years ago and have not worn because it is painful to do so.  Sigh...  They are so cute, aren't they?   Hope somebody else will be able to find comfort in them.


It's nice to make some more room in the closets - a little fresh air, a little more breathing room. 
I am still working on the crafts - just knitting a hat that is taking a little longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment